California Almond Cake with Balsamic Strawberries and Orange Mascarpone
Create a dessert masterpiece with this recipe from John Ash & Co at Vintners Inn.
The California Almond Cake with Balsamic Strawberries and Orange Mascarpone is rich in taste
and the perfect ending to any meal.
Or escape to Central Sonoma Wine Country and stay at Vintner's Inn. Steps away from your
luxurious private room is John Ash & Co. Restaurant. Experience a feast for the senses.
With their picturesque vineyard as a backdrop, Chef Jeffrey Madura utilizes the freshest of
locally grown products to create inspired wine country cuisine for your pleasure.
- 8 oz. almond paste
- 1/2 cup unstaled butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. Grand Marnier or other orange brandy
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Balsamic Strawberries (recipe follows)
- Orange Mascarpone (recipe follows)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the almond paste, butter, and sugar. One
at a time, beat in the eggs, followed by the lemon zest and brandy.
Sift the flour and baking powder together over waxed paper. Beat the flour into the almond–egg
mixture until just combined.
Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Cool on a rack before removing the cake from the pan.
Serve a wedge of the cake with a scoop of the Balsamic Strawberries.
Dust with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and pipe a small rosette of the
Orange Mascarpone from a pastry bag or simply place a dollop on the cake.
Serves: 8 TO 10
- 2 pints ripe strawberries, stemmed and halved
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. drained and rinsed green peppercorns, slightly crushed
In a bowl, gently combine all ingredients.
Allow to stand, refrigerated, for at least 1 hour before serving.
- 3 oz. fresh mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. Grand Marnier or other orange brandy
In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and beat well.
Let stand, refrigerated, at least 1 hour before serving.