Submitted by Gourmet Retreats at Casa Lana B&B10 Servings
- 3 pounds Beef Tenderloin, trussed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon achiote powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil, for searing
Trim excess fat and silver skin from the tenderloin if
needed. Truss with kitchen twine to hold the piece together while
marinating, searing and roasting.
Toast the coriander and cumin
seeds separately, then grind and mix together. Mix together with the
remaining spices to make the spice rub. Pour the whiskey over the meat.
Rub the spice mixture into the meat covering all sides. Marinate
overnight (or several hours), turning a couple of times.
oven to 375º. Remove the tenderloin from the marinade. Heat a heavy
bottom saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and when hot, sear the
meat on all sides. Remove from the saute pan and place in a roasting pan
on a rack. Roast until the meat reaches 120º internal temperature for
medium-rare (about 30 minutes). Remove from oven, cover and let rest at
least 10 minutes. Remove trussing and slice to serve.