August 8, 2015
Packet pick up:
Day before the race (August 7) at the Race Expo
Stoller Family Estate, 16161 NE McDougall Rd, Dayton, OR 97114
7:00 a.m. PST
Mild hills and minimal turns, runners are expected to keep a 16 minute mile pace or better, casual walkers not permitted
Novice runners and veterans alike are invited to a special half marathon experience in Oregon’s Yamhill County. Participants in the Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon’s
13.1-mile course run through the heart of the Willamette Valley, starting at the Stoller Family Estate and winding past four classic American Viticulture Areas (Dundee Hills, Yamhill-Carlton, Chehalem Mountains, and Ribbon Ridge).
For those interested in taking on the challenge, early bird pricing is available through the end of June. Runners, be sure to arrive the day before the event on August 7 for packet pick up and take part in the Half Marathon Race Expo, held in the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville.
Here is where you can pick up your race packet, meet exhibitors and race sponsors, shop for exclusive Wine Country Half Marathon apparel and gifts, and plot your race day strategy at the Race Orientation Seminar. You may still have time to take part in aviary inspired exhibits such as the
majestic Spruce Goose, SR-71 Blackbird, and a waterpark with a waterslide pouring from a B747-100 aircraft.
After your exhilarating run, stick around for the Post Race Wine and Music Festival
. Sponsored by Ken Wright Cellars and Alaska Airlines, the Festival takes place in downtown Carlton, with more than 20 wineries including Duck Pond Cellars
and, of course, plenty of rollicking live music (artists to be announced). Best of all, the Post Race Wine and Music Festival is free to participants.
For the best in nearby lodging and dining, here are suggestions to help you plan your 2015 summer run event.
Image Source: The Painted Lady Restaurant
Red Hills Provincial Dining
Cuisine from Elegant to “Home Dining Room”
– A destination restaurant inside a lovingly restored Craftsman home, offering soups, sauces, desserts, breads, and charcuterie, made on the premises from scratch.
Babica Hen Cafe
– Boasting farm fresh eggs, pasture raised pork, and all natural beef, along with a mouth watering selection of homemade baked goods.
– An artisan focused, neighborhood kitchen offering, the owners say, an experience “reminiscent of the home dining room,” inside a restored Victorian house.
The Painted Lady Restaurant
– Offering fresh produce and coastal fish (like the Oregon King Salmon), matched with the region’s best wines.
– A restaurant with an enticing wine cellar atmosphere, featuring such specialities as pan roasted duck breast served over wild mushroom and toasted hazelnut wild rice.
– All the great barbecue favorites (pork, brisket, ribs, etc.), in a no-frills, family-friendly setting.
Chun’s of Dundee Chinese Restaurant
– A blend of the finest Peking, Mongolian, Hunan, and Cantonese cuisine, with no MSG added to their dishes.
Image Source: Dundee Manor
An Array of Lodging Choices
Dundee Garden Cottage
– A beautifully renovated 1920’s cottage located in downtown Dundee, with a backyard garden oasis.
– With the ambience of an Edwardian estate, and a view from the gazebo and deck areas of majestic Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson.
The Franziska Haus Bed and Breakfast
– A newly constructed Log Lodge structure, where guests enjoy the stone crafted 29 foot fireplace in a grand, yet intimate great room.
– An eight room Wine Valley “eco-inn” exemplifying sustainability from the food offered to the environmentally sensitive care for the Inn’s exterior and interior.
Wine Country Farm
– A peaceful getaway on a working farm that raises grapes and Arabian horses.
While you’re here, Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon organizers encourage you to check out the
Willamette Valley’s internationally acclaimed wineries. Set among historic communities and lush rolling hills, you can taste your favorite wines and shop at farmers’ markets showcasing the region’s delicious, locally grown produce.
Main Image Source: Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon